Saturday, August 9, 2008

While You Weren't Watching...

I started and finished a little hat, Scandinavian style, stranded colors, in red and grayish blue, in the stars and ladders pattern. Stars and ladders is an old design used quite a bot in old Scandinavian knitwear, its alleged to refer to the necessary effort, like climbing a ladder, in order to reach a lofty goal, like the stars in the heavens. Who knew the Scandinavians were so spiritual?!

I'm working up a pattern for the hat and for a pair of complimentary fingerless mitts.

I'm using Dalegarn yarn, unusual for tis kind of work because it contains a generous amount of mohair. I like my stars and ladders fuzzy. It's a nice feeling yarn, a little short of sportweight. I knit this hat with #3 (american) needles. It is guaranteed to be a warmish hat, the stranding makes it jsut about double-thickness.


1 comment:

fab.amber said...

Ooooh, pretty. I wish I weren't intimidated by the technique, because I really like the notion of ladders to the stars. Kinda like a stairway to heaven? Can't buy me dat.