Friday, July 11, 2008

Project update and other stuff

After having left the project alone for so long, and realizing I was making up stuff to do in order to avoid frogging and fixing the cable problem, I finally had the where-with-all to approach the task. 

Frogging can be a risky venture, especially with silky yarn like Berroco's Bonsai. It's been pleasurable to feel the yarn slipping through my fingers as I knit, and its heft is comforting, but these two qualities make frogging even more treacherous. Shelli at Knitterly in Petaluma outlined the best way to approach it; Lay the piece of knitting on a clean, flat surface. (Don't try to frog while the piece is held vertically, as this causes the slippery yarn to undo a few rows down as you are ripping.) Carefully remove the needles. Frog (rip, rip) until you get one row above the row where the problem first occured. Grab a much smaller needle than what you've been using, and one-at-a-time as you pull the yarn out of each stitch, transfer the stitch below onto the smaller diameter needle. As you start to knit again, be conscious of the way your stitches lie—that is, make sure your not twisting them, and don't forget to switch back to using your larger needle. Phew!

Now I'm on my way again. I even bought yarn for a future project; I'm going to make a simple fringed scarf for my mother. She's elderly and wanting to wear more pink, but thinking pink's not appropriate for her age. After having seen the way pink transforms her skintone, I'm sure it's a good thing. I got a skein of Alchemy's "Pagoda" in the color vermillion. It's 100% silk and has a sweet nubby texture. Future yarn review!


No comments: